10/17/09

My favorite Spike Jonze videos

As all you lovers probably already know, Where the Wild Things Are opened yesterday. It’s a lot like a waking dream. And seeing it inspired me to share my favorite video work by Spike Jonze:

Weezer – Buddy Holly


Jonze did a lot of work with Weezer which I think is all good and this is just the one I like the best. Dig the washed out graininess, the old preppy look, the random Fonzie appearence, the bewildered Asian man. Check out the videos for Island in the Sun (elastic shininess happy times) and Sweater Song too.

Praise You – Fatboy Slim

Before YouTube and before Napoleon Dynamite Jonze perfectly captures the weirdness of dancing weird people.

Electrobank – Chemical Brothers


I love how this video is graceful and dirty at the same time. It’s also the best story I’ve seen told in a music video.

Da Funk – Daft Punk


Out of everything I had read, seen, or heard about New York City before I moved here, this is what I thought my life would be like most. A true lover just doesn’t ditch the boombox. (And it works out for the better)

Drop – The Pharcyde


Everything about this video is dope. The backwards effect gives it that surreal touch which Jonze likes to drop right into the real world. I mean, how do you even rap backwards? I don't know what else to say...it's just so dope.

1 comment:

  1. Have you seen the mini-movie he made with Kanye West? It was interesting :)

    ReplyDelete